Home-made lasagna made with a delicious and savory tomato paste topped with fresh mozzarella and steamed vegetables paired with our velvety Cabernet Sauvignon.
- 1/3 cup olive oil plus 1 tablespoon for Spinach
- 10 ounces of fresh spinach, rough chopped
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper, plus extra for coating beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped small
- 1 red pepper, chopped small
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 leaves basil, finely chopped, plus leaves for garnish
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped oregano leaves
- 1 (14-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 box dry lasagna noodles
- 1 pint ricotta
- 1 cup grated Parmesan, plus extra for garnish
- 1 large ball fresh mozzarella, grated or sliced thinly
Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil and 1 tbsp of minced garlic in a pot over medium high heat. Sauté for 1 minute until fragrant then add in chopped spinach. Sauté until spinach begins to wilt, about 4 minutes. Remove with a spoon and set aside in a bowl.
Add the 1/3 cup of oil. Add the beef and sprinkle it with pepper. Cook through, about 5 to 6 minutes. Remove the beef from the pot and add in the onions, peppers, 1/2 of the garlic, and herbs. Turn the heat to medium and cook the vegetables until soft. Add in the tomato sauce and paste. Season with salt and pepper and let simmer for 1 hour.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the dry lasagna to the boiling water and cook until al dente. Remove and place on baking sheet coated with olive oil. Toss the pasta to coat it completely.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. In a bowl, mix the ricotta and Parmesan well. In a 9 by 12-inch baking dish, begin laying down the pasta. Smooth on a layer of the cheese mixture, then some spinach and spoon on meat sauce. Add another layer of pasta and repeat this process until you reach the top of the dish. The final layer should be cheese mixture and fresh mozzarella.
Cover with foil and place in the oven. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and let brown for 15 more minutes.
To serve, spoon on meat sauce on a warm plate. Place a large square of lasagna on the pool of sauce. Top with Parmesan and a basil leaf. And serve with salad and garlic bread.
Recipe provided by Chef Cat Cora